Memphis, TN Employment Immigration Lawyers

Attorneys Assisting With Work Visas in Tennessee

There are a wide variety of opportunities to earn an income in the United States, and people who live in foreign countries often want to take advantage of this ability to provide for themselves and their families. However, strict rules and processes must be followed when obtaining authorization to work in the U.S., and the assistance of a skilled, experienced immigration attorney can be invaluable. At Douglass & Runger, Attorneys at Law, we work with employers and employees to help them complete the required immigration forms and advise them of their options throughout the immigration process. We assist with:

H Visas

Temporary work visas allow citizens of other countries to live and work in the United States for a certain period of time. H visas fall into the following categories:

  • H-1B visas - These visas are available for people who work in specialty occupations which require the equivalent of a bachelor's degree or higher. There are additional subcategories of this type of visa for people who work on cooperative research and development projects for the Department of Defense and for fashion models.
  • H-2A visas - These visas are available for agricultural workers who come to the United States to work in temporary, seasonal jobs. Employers must receive temporary labor certification for H-2A employment from the Department of Labor.
  • H-2B visas - These visas are available for employers looking to fill temporary, nonagricultural jobs. Employers must receive temporary labor certification for H-2B employment from the Department of Labor.
  • H-3 visas - These visas allow people to come to the United States to receive training that is not available in their home country or to participate in an exchange program that provides training for educating children with special needs.

Employers can apply for H visas for their employees by filing Form I-129 (Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker), and in some cases, they must also file Form ETA-9035 (Labor Condition Application).


Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), qualified citizens of Canada or Mexico can apply for a TN nonimmigrant visa to work in the U.S. on a professional level. Mexican citizens should apply for a TN visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate. Canadian citizens may present the required documentation at a port of entry, or their employers can file Form I-129 (Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker). A TN visa will allow a person to live and work in the U.S. for three years, and a worker or their employer can apply for an extension of their stay beyond that period.

Spouses and children of people with a TN visa may apply for a TD visa which will allow them to live in the U.S. People with TD status may not work while they are in the U.S., but they may receive an education.

L Visas

Intracompany transfer visas allow employers in the United States to transfer employees from an office in a foreign country to an office within the U.S. L visas fall into two categories:

  • L-1A visas - For executives or managers.
  • L-1B visas - For employees with specialized knowledge.

To qualify for an L visa, an employee must have been working for their employer for one continuous year within the last three years. Employers must file Form I-129 (Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker) on behalf of their employees. Employees will initially be allowed to stay in the U.S. for three years, or for one year if they are establishing a new office. Extensions may be requested in increments of two years, with a maximum limit of five years.

Contact a Tennessee Immigration Attorney

If you are an employee who wishes to work in the U.S. or an employer who plans to hire a foreign national employee, Douglass & Runger, Attorneys at Law can help you determine the right type of visa for foreign employees, submit the correct forms, and work with you to complete your legal requirements. Contact us at 901-388- 5805.

2820 Summer Oaks Drive,
Bartlett TN, 38134
Douglass & Runger is an association of attorneys, not a partnership. Douglass & Runger serves clients in the greater Memphis area, including Arlington, Bartlett, Collierville, Cordova, Germantown, Lakeland, in addition to the surrounding counties, including, but not limited to, Chester County, Fayette County, Hardin County, Hardemann County, Lauderdale County, Madison County and Tipton County Tennessee. The information contained herein is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal or tax advice. The transmission or receipt of any information on this website is not intended to, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship. If you have any questions, or would like to set up a consultation to discuss your case, please contact us at , all rights reserved.

© Copyright 2015 - Douglass & Runger, Attorneys at Law. All Rights Reserved.

Created by eBiz Solutions